The Westervelt Company is searching for an Assistant Web Developer to join our Information Services team.
About The Westervelt Company
The Westervelt Company is a land resource organization committed to land stewardship and managing its resources for future generations. The company operates in multiple arenas and industries including timber and natural resources, Southern yellow pine lumber, residential real estate, outdoor sporting lodges, wildlife management and mitigation banking.
At The Westervelt Company, we are stewards of the land. We believe in sustainable management, conservation and protection of our natural resources. We are committed to our core values of ensuring the safety and well-being of our employees, providing the highest quality products and services for our customers, and developing long-lasting relationships in the communities where we live and work.
About This Role
As an Assistant Web Developer, you will be a crucial part of our team, dedicated to developing and maintaining a diverse set of company websites. Collaborating closely with various business groups, you'll create and manage websites for both internal employees and external customers, ensuring effective communication and seamless user experiences. Your involvement will extend to overseeing our corporate intranet and working alongside the Corporate Communications team to facilitate the sharing of accurate information. Additionally, you'll also work with the IS department to craft web-based applications and partner with our Corporate Communications department to enhance our online presence and monitor digital engagement. This position offers an exciting blend of technical knowledge, innovative problem-solving, and cross-functional teamwork, presenting an excellent opportunity for growth as you contribute to our digital transformation.
Why This Role is Special
We are a small team where each member has the chance to make an immediate and significant impact. Additionally, our Information Services department actively embraces innovation, keen on strategically integrating the latest technologies such as AI/ML, Metaverse, and the Internet of Things into our operations.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of both internal and external websites, addressing user needs and business objectives.
- Collaborate with business and functional teams to gather requirements.
- Work closely with the Corporate Communications team to ensure accurate and effective communication of company information through the websites.
- Collaborate with other members of the Information Services (IS) department to develop web-based applications.
- Collaborate with the Corporate Communications team to contribute to social media communication efforts and monitor the company's online presence.
- Stay up-to-date with industry trends and best practices in web development for improvements and innovative solutions.
- Monitor and maintain sites for security, backup and recovery purposes.
- Experience or eagerness to engage with automated testing, CI/CD processes, agile development practices, and understanding the importance of code coverage.
- Perform administrative duties to support the web environment.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, MIS, or related technical field
- 2-3 years of web development experience may substitute for Computer Science or MIS Degree
- Strong foundational understanding of web development concepts (HTML & CSS, Request & Response cycle, and the Client/Server relationship) and relational databases
- Strong problem-solving abilities
- Eagerness to adapt, learn, and contribute in a close-knit team environment
- Ability to communicate and collaborate efficiently with a diverse set of team members
- Initiative and the drive to continuously improve both personal skills and team processes
Technical Landscape and Desired Experience
Experience with or a willingness to learn these requirements is desired. These are the technologies you will be exposed to everyday in this position.
- Database Management: Proficiency or interest in PostgreSQL
- Version Control: Experience with Git or similar version control systems
- Containerization: Familiarity or interest in Docker
- Development Practices: Experience or eagerness to engage with modern DevOps CI/CD processes
- Cloud Services: Exposure to cloud computing platforms such as AWS or Azure, and/or cloud VPS providers like Fly.io
How to Apply
Interested candidates can apply by visiting the posting on our job portal at the Westervelt Career Site, located at https://westervelt.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/4/home/requisition/311. Note: the job posting currently says Assistant Web Developer; we are working to change this to Junior Web Developer.
The base salary range for this position is $45,500 - $68,300. Actual base salary is based on the experience and qualifications of the selected candidate.
Remote may be considered based on the experience and qualifications of the candidate.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation
Django, Django REST Framework, React, Wagtail CMS, HTMX
Tuscaloosa, AL (Remote Maybe)
$45,500 - $68,300